- Installation of Cold Room in South Island.
- Purchase of Agricultural equipment: Rotary Tiller, Disc Plough and Furrower
- Two Generators
- Two Mortuary chambers
- Two coconut tree climbers
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
- Employees attended courses on Cooperative Entrepreneurship Development Program
- Handicraft courses in Women’s Centre provided by Ministry of Gender Equality and Family Welfare
- Course on music at Conservatoire de Musique Francois Mitterrand – “Train the trainers”
- Auto-mechanic courses at MITD
- Theatre classes by Ministry of Art and Cultural Heritage
- Course on Health sensitization and Ill-effects of drug by Mauritius Family Planning Association to our employees and students of Agalega
- Computer course called IC3 given to 20 of our Agalean employees
- Cookery courses by National Cooperative College
- Materials sent by MIE in December 2019 to train Pre-Primary Assistants
- Education support to Agalean students pursuing studies are provided 2 uniform outfits per year, 1 school bag, 1 pair of shoes in terms of school material allowance in January 2020
- Steps are followed as per PPA framework for Capital Projects.
- Agaleans are trained in different fields in view of the major infrastructural improvement in Sea and Air connectivity.
- Areas earmarked and cleared for the plantation of onion (bio).
- Fish landing station is in the pipeline. We take into consideration the existence of Saya de Malha Bank and Nazabeth Bank some 600 kms from Agalega.
- Joint Committee with MIE regarding training of our employees in the Pre-Primary school.
- Procedures have been intimated for Consultancy Services to work out an appropriate sewerage system for Agalega. The Bid Evaluation Committee has to submit a report.
- Joint Committee with NHDC for construction of 50 housing units at Agalega. The Consultant is finalizing the Tender Documents once appropriate sites are identified.
- In line with infrastructure development of Sea and Air connectivity, PRB has been consulted for the creation of new posts related to the development.
- Ministry of Housing and Land Use has been requested to work on a Master Plan of Agalega. A draft has been submitted to our office.
- Road mapping is an integral part of development. Assistance has been sought with the Authority concerned to work on the plan. NTA has already identified the spots to install road signs at Agalega after a site visit.
- Contract of housing units – Representative of Ministry of Housing and Land Use has effected a site visit and collected documents from Agaleans for the award of housing contract after necessary legal procedures.
- NDU in the collaboration with OIDC has proposed two roads and two pitch for recreational activities with outdoor gymnasium on both islands.
STRATEGIES AND POLICY ACTIONS PROPOSED TO BE IMPLEMENTED OVER THE NEXT FIVE YEARS (2020 – 2024)
PROPOSED POLICY ORIENTATION
Policy 1: To ensure Operation of Jetty and Airstrip in collaboration with the Authorities concerned.
Policy 2: To introduce biodiversity.
Policy 3: To promote fishing sector.
Policy 4: To ensure that development in the coastal zone is sustainable.
Policy 5: To inculcate Eco-tourism vision.
STRATEGIES FOR POLICY 1:
To ensure operation of Jetty and Airstrip in collaboration with the Authorities concerned.
- Review, strengthen and harmonize the legislative framework such as Planning Policy Guidance.
- Strengthen enforcement to ensure compliance to legislation appropriate to Agalega
- Develop guidelines/ protocols for best practice for daily operation
- Labour recruitment exercise for the running of both Jetty and Airstrip
STRATEGIES FOR POLICY 2:
To introduce biodiversity.
- Enhance research and commitment from FAREI and other research institutions
- Promote Eco-green system
- Grouping of Agaleans into Cooperatives and seek assistance from Ministry of Cooperative
- Encourage kitchen gardening
- Enhance sensitization program on the importance of biodiversity
- Maximize the use of coconut-coir for plantation
STRATEGIES FOR POLICY 3:
To promote the fishing sector.
- Work in collaboration with Ministry of blue economy to promote fishing sector. Carry out study on short term and medium-term planning
- Grouping of Agaleans into Cooperatives
- Optimize the use of Fish Landing station
- Encourage local investors to play key role by respecting legal framework
- Work on a long-term planning of exploiting Saya de Malha and Nazabeth Banks
- Expand the scale of operation for local investors over the region of St Brandon and enforce legislation for Marine ecosystems
STRATEGIES FOR POLICY 4:
To ensure that development in the coastal zone is sustainable.
- Promote green coastal zone
- Pursue with the ridge-to-reef concept with emphasis on nature-based solutions
- Strengthen coordination with Ministry of Environment and other Organizations mandated in the field
- Set up a pool of volunteer who can assist to sensitize the inhabitants on the importance of marine ecosystems
- Implement innovative and nature-based coastal protection measures and restoration of beach profiles
STRATEGIES FOR POLICY 5:
To inculcate Eco-tourism vision.
- Carry out a study on this project in collaboration with Ministry of Tourism and EDB
- Work on the proper zoning and subsequent development with Ministry of Housing and Land Use
- Modalities for the setting up of Eco-tourism hotel
- Establish formalities to work on packages and promote Mauritius-Rodrigues- Agalega campaign for tourists
All the strategies and policies will depend significantly on the full-fledged contribution of all Ministries and Departments. A budget for Agalega has to be inculcated in the different Ministries to intimate a pragmatic consideration for the future of the island.